Pages designed and maintained by the Office of ECSED.
Dr. William D. Phillips shares* the
1997 Nobel Prize in Physics
Official news release:
Statements and congratulations:
- Dr. Phillips upon
notification of the award
- U.S. House of Representatives:
- Committee on Science,
- Department of Commerce (DOC), and NIST:
- DOC Secretary,
NIST Acting Director,
NIST Physics Laboratory Director
- Laser cooling and trapping of neutral atoms
Rev. Mod. Phys. 70(3), 721-741 (1998).
(PDF 843 kB)
- Research projects of Dr. Phillips in the Laser Cooling and Trapping Group.
- Short history of Dr. Phillips' career,
and an abbreviated Curriculum
- Photographs of Dr.
Phillips in his Laser Cooling and Trapping laboratory.
A Sampling of Dr. Phillips' technical work:
- Dr. Phillips reports on results with
cold atoms at the 1996 AAAS Meeting.
- Claude N. Cohen-Tannoudji and William D. Phillips,
"New Mechanisms For Laser Cooling" Physics Today 33-40,
October 1990. (PDF 15.1 MB)
*The Physics Prize was awarded jointly to William D. Phillips,
Professor Steven Chu
of Stanford University, and
Professor Claude Cohen-Tannoudji
of the Collège de France and the École Normale Supérieure.
Inquiries or comments: Feedback.
Online: February 1997 Last update: March 2001